Archinect
anchor

Chicago: Could planned demolitions be underway?

St. George's Fields
creativity expert

One thing that this news does not tell anyone outside of Chicago, is that all those people who moved out of the city, drive back to downtown for work every morning causing traffic jams that are on par with the ones in LA. A lot of young people 45 and under are moving into downtown lofts and apartments it is a cool place to be, i drove down state street during Halloween once after pulling another 18 hour day and let me tell you something, no red blooded man in Chicago disliked the quantity of costumed ladies walking all over michigan ave. and state street.

If you live in or around the Chicago area this is not news, with all the public housing projects getting demolished where do you think all those poor people will go? to the cheapest suburban housing that chapter 8 will pay for, and suburban mayors have cashed in on this opportunity.

Feb 18, 11 5:13 am  · 
 · 
blah

Is Houston larger than Chicago now?

A lot of the 200,000 were poor people who moved to Rockford, the south suburbs and northwest Indiana. Chicago is becoming Paris.

Feb 18, 11 9:11 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Houston is about 2.2 million versus Chicago's 2.6 million. However, Houston is 579 square miles versus Chicago's 227 square miles.

For comparison, New York is 8.9 million over 304 square miles.

All figures exclude jurisdiction over water.

A different kind of destruction is happening in New York-- it had a decade surplus of 380,000 new residents forcing 9,400 blocks in the city to be rezoned. 9,400 blocks.

The number of new households in Chicago are smaller than previous households. You can have a growing number of households yet still have a declining population.

I didn't want this to necessarily come off as alarmist. However, I think there's an opportunity here in the population shuffle that might benefit Chicago if it acts right. A loss of population greases the wheels of redevelopment. Less people, less conflict and less objections when it comes to 'gentrification.'

I suppose one question is, "how does Chicago compete with growing cities of a similar caliber?"

If it doesn't compete with cities on its levels, this reorganization of the population could turn into a longer downward trend that's bad for both Chicago and the entire Midwest.

It seems like the U.S. is turning into the United States of New York and Los Angeles.

Feb 18, 11 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

thats a good point that even the president has pointed out, im referring to the latest census which highlights less people married, and those that havent divorced have not had lots of children as in the past.

I don't really think Chicago sees itself as having to compete with other cities, we're pretty confident that just our architecture alone obliterates any other city in the country. Chicago, has always historically, jumped on every opportunity to gentrify and lately Re gentrify older buildings. Where Chicago wants to improve is solidifying its place as an international tourist stop.

The downtown area has come a long way from 40 years ago, when i was not born yet, I've heard stories of all kinds of illegal activity that went on around there these days you would have a lot of trouble looking for this activity around business attired men and women.

I think as soon as banks start approving more loans we will see more Re gentrification. Just around IIT, there has been a lot of new construction residential, commercial, even a new Metra train stop, 10 years from now you won't recognize the neighborhood around IIT.

Feb 18, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

creativity: do you just come out of school recently? It seems you lack of economy sense. No offense though. Most of our architects spent most of time busting their ass in the beauty instead of the engine behind the projects------- money.

Feb 19, 11 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

haha

yeah creativity, people want to know if you just come out of school recently. Also try to explain your lack of economy sense.

<grabs popcorn>

Feb 19, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

rusty, is it a boring Saturday morning? Love to argue with you a.

Feb 19, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

cmrhm, are you going to start paying archinectors for all the advice we provide you with?

exactly what part about banks approving loans equals more building do you disagree with? do u really expect me to talk about micro and macro economics on here?

Are you celebrating Opposite day like in Spongebob Square pants?

Seems to me archinectors are fixing all of your problems, they have been helping you with everything and lately even correcting your ability to curse properly.

coming from the guy that makes a thread to asks Archinectors to solve all of his problems all the way from what kind of Air fresheners to use, fixing his utility room water problems, begging people to give him advice on competitions, asking lletdownl to explain the mechanics and theory behind single skin, and double skin systems, also fancies himself a stock broker gambling with his parents money, Its hard to be offended.

I think that cmrhm, is trying to get back at me for the time i told him :
financial forces cannot be controlled, but they can be guided. as the architect, the conceive r of the ideas, it is up to you cmrhm to find a balance.

Not to mention that cmr, is a huge Rem koolh ass fan, that doesn't like the name of the Chicago Bears, strike three, now get off my lawn you damn stockbroker posing as an architect intern.

and id like to conclude by saying please don't reply with any of your famous cursing:

rusty: what the fu*k mouth you have!

What an ugly asshole here. No experience, no common sense and pretend know sth

sth!

And if you keep bothering me, or anybody else in Chicago, you're probably going to take a souvenir broken nose, complete with the memories of a beatdown back to China with you, now piss off you "fuck mouth" whatever that means.

Feb 19, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

have a nice weekend.

Feb 19, 11 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

oh man!

I feel like I should be paying archinect for all this free entertainment.

Feb 19, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

ok rusty, take over for me because i got to get back to my life, ill check back sometime next week.

Feb 19, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

creativity:

I will give you one hint: one hundred years ago, Chicago is the central of the railroad system for the nation. CBOE and CBOT is the reason or result of it.

one hundred years later, what does Chicago has?

Feb 19, 11 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

if Chicago has nothing to offer you, then get the hell out buddy.

Feb 19, 11 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"what does Chicago has?"

lots of segregation apparently

Feb 19, 11 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I always like drawings, rusty, good job. But it didn't explain anything here.

Too few people, horrible weather, dry on creativity...

Feb 19, 11 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

why are u in Chicago anyway cmrhm? you say there are too few people? is that in comparison with China? I like it just fine the way it is here, I like the weather, I like the people, thats why I live here, and our architecture puts every other cities to shame.

Feb 19, 11 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: