Archinect
anchor

Envy in architecture

St. George's Fields

Does anyone ever get envious?

Do you feel that it translates over to hostility when seeing, reviewing or criticizing projects?

I've been recently catching myself disliking or even hating one thing or another because I am secretly envious. There are two reasons why I am generally envious:

1. They clearly produced a better design and/or solution than I ever could in this particular instance.

2. I am also sometimes envious, mostly disappointed, that someone bought into such a craptacular and awful idea. I'm envious that the firm could sell such an outrageous and awful idea. But, I am also disappointed that someone spent actual money building something that will probably cost them the shirt off their back in 5 years.

I then get jealous because I wasn't the one able to ruin lives like that. I know, I'm a jerk. I don't necessarily want to purposefully ruin someone's live but I'd like the power.

After realizing that I can be often green-with0envy, I've be able to rationalize why I do or don't like a product, project or idea without necessarily being hostile or offensive.

I've also realize that more than likely most people believe they are doing their best work with out a malicious intention. You shouldn't necessarily chide someone who tries their best and fails. But I certainly won't encourage it.

Anyone else able to noticed their own jealously?

Jan 11, 11 2:15 am
holz.box

employment envy?

i think there is a lot of envy in the design world (would explain the constant hating)

i find dealing with my own shit is hard enough these days - it's just a miracle things are still getting built.

i try to limit my chiding to outrageously horrendous designs and poor energy performance these days.

Jan 11, 11 5:12 am  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

with holz. envy is a very human feeling, especially in our field where senses and pleasure are so heavily indulged.

Jan 11, 11 6:47 am  · 
 · 
elinor

i used to work at a firm where the most interesting work we ever saw in the office was in the 'lunch-and-learn' seminars, because the product manufacturers and engineering firms who came to pitch to us also sold products to HdeM, etc, etc.

I used to come out of those things wanting to punch the walls...haha...I think one time I actually did...

Jan 11, 11 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: