Archinect
anchor

TRON: Legacy

WonderK

I can't believe no one started a thread on this... talk about an architectural fantasy land! Saw this movie with melty on Friday night and it was a wild ride. A couple of thoughts:

-Um, they made the Disney castle in the opening credits look like TRON-land. I would totally visit the castle if it looked like that!

-Just don't bother seeing the movie if you can't watch it in 3D. The visual effects are startling but without 3D, you'd have to rely on the plot!

-The soundtrack of this movie is damn near perfect!

-Would love to hear people's thoughts on the digital, "young" Jeff Bridges. It totally creeped me out.

Dec 19, 10 5:36 pm
Cherith Cutestory

Yes! Thanks. I was totally wondering the same thing.

For those that may not know, the director Joseph Kosinski is actually trained as an Architect, which explains why the visual of this film is so amazing. This is just one of the many interviews he has done (also one somewhere in the news section of this site) about the movie and how his architectural background has helped shape his work. Previous to Tron, he directed a number of amazing commercial pieces for Nike, Hummer, and many others. Truly amazing work and a great example of someone working within/outside of the profession.

I'm actually okay with the relative simplicity of the plot. I feel most recent sci-fi films rely too much on scientific jargon, convoluted plots and excessive (and unrealistic CG) to drive the story. I didn't feel overwhelmed with terminology and trivia here and the action sequences were easy enough to follow. I also thought the Grid City, despite being fantastic and digital, didn't seem unrealistic. I could see this world existing and I would totally want to live there.

I'm disappointed to see so many negative reviews on-line, especially in light of how well Avatar was rated (which personally I thought was lame beyond belief). Sure the plot was simple, but they also had 25+ years of backstory to convey in addition to whatever happens in the movie (don't want to provide any spoilers).

If you haven't seen the original, it won't take away from understanding this film, but I would recommend watching it prior anyway. They did a good job of working in a lot of references to the original (I loved the Bit reference), plus you get the fascination of seeing how much has evolved in the computer world (both real and cinematic) since then.

Dec 19, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea - dialogue and plot were pretty standard. if you're able to get past that and enjoy experiencing the "grid's" architecture/design, you'll have a good time.

and yes, the daft punk soundtrack is badass.

Dec 19, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I didn't know about the director! I mean, it's one of those movies where the plot was beside the point, huh? I totally agree that they did a good job of working in the history... I never saw the original but I didn't feel lost at all. And comparing the old to the new was so amazing!

Dec 19, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Love this: Digitally-rendered young Jeff Bridges is unanimously creepy

Dec 19, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

To be fair, the original was a pretty standard Disney affair in terms of characters and story. The real achievement of the film was the use of computer animation, which at the time disqualified the film for many technical and visual effect academy awards, something that is strange to think about it on the age of CG. So in terms of relating to the original, I think it did a great job of again making some advancements in technology. CG Jeff Bridges was pretty amazing, although still in that uncanny valley at times. The 3D filming was an advancement from Avatar (which I only know from news articles... I rented Avatar from the library).

Check out some of Kosinski's other (shorter) works. Desert House, Apple iSpec, Hummer and the Nike one are some of my favorites. The Nike video especially shows a clear relationship to Tron, ala Kevin Flynn's hideaway (which we could argue is all a relative of 2001).

Dec 19, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

P.S. can we all pool our resources and build Kevin Flynn's zen retreat for real? That place was seriously awesome. It would make a great bar/club. Who am I kidding, the whole movie set design would make a great bar/club. Disney has some great source material for a Tomorrowland revamp. But maybe that is another discussion.

Dec 19, 10 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Also we can look forward to more of Kosinksi's work with another Disney relaunch, as he is in the works to "re imagine" The Black Hole.

Dec 19, 10 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

i liked their little shout-out to 'Go' - best game everrr

Dec 19, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
More on making Jeff Bridges 35 again
Dec 19, 10 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I walked out after about 50 minutes.

Totally lame movie.

Dec 19, 10 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

One thing I have been thinking over is that The Grid is supposedly Flynn/Clu building a perfect world; The idea of perfection was pretty central to the story. So then a perfect world would not have sun? Specifically sun since it's a pretty big deal for Quorra.

Dec 20, 10 12:16 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

well they connoted 'efficiency' with 'perfection' - that's the mentality of a machine

i guess the sun isn't very efficient, when you think about it

Dec 20, 10 12:41 am  · 
 · 

i fall asleep during action movies. will i like tron?

Dec 20, 10 2:21 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

There is action, but I wouldn't call it an action movie by any means. It's not Michael Bay, something doesn't explode every 5 minutes. It's worth going for the visual effects alone.

Dec 20, 10 11:24 am  · 
 · 
not_here

design-wise, and render-ing wise it is breathtaking.

the reflections on single layer rendered glass had me drooling throughout the full duration.

Dec 21, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, Kosinski does some amazing stuff with visuals, eh?

It is pretty cool to read about all of the hoops they had to jump through to render Clu, even if he was still kind of creepy. Kudos to them for taking the chance and going for it.

I thought Avatar was amazing but TRON is the one I want to see again.

Dec 22, 10 12:27 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

same ^

Dec 22, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I never saw the original, but this one was fun. I don't see what the 3d added, though. I don't think I like 3d. It seems gimmicky to me, and like looking through a shadow-box. I certainly don't feel like it's happening right in front of me.

Dec 23, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

i fell asleep watching it.

Dec 24, 10 12:36 am  · 
 · 
anti
KDLab

Circa 2002 i believe

Wonder what happened to the other dude from KDLab. They rocked it hard back then.

Dec 27, 10 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
sarmath

all you people who havent seen the first one should do yrself a favor and do so. IMO it looks way better than the new one, but maybe that's because i watched alot as a kid. plot and dialog-wise it's basically the same movie.

Dec 27, 10 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
+i

LOVED IT! i also thought the soundtrack was amazing and perfect- wouldn't have even been the same movie without it!

Dec 28, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

Just saw it on IMAX 3D, the fx and 3d was breathtaking, but story was a bit boring, and illogical. If the bad guy just wanted the master's disk, then why waste time watching the games and not fly around and search for his dwellings? Why create such a complicated beeper plot, why even bring his son to the grid if you all you want is a freaking disk that is like 2 miles away from your castle???

Jan 1, 11 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Also one more thing'

"Hey dude check out my suite" and then cool music plays for like 5 minuets while we watch the cooooooool suites...... okay we got it the suites are cool, but the over emphasized on it for the whole movie!

Jan 1, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Anyone catch the Castiglioni lamp, Mies' barcelona chair, the Eames lounge chair/ottoman in Jeff Bridges' apartment (which, by the way, was a not-so-subtle nod to David Bowman's apartment at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey)?

Jan 5, 11 2:09 am  · 
 · 
aspect

many look like zaha's building or better^^

Jan 7, 11 2:13 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"many look like zaha's building or better"

way better. no stupid blob crap on the grid.

Jan 7, 11 2:15 am  · 
 · 
ChesterCopr

Well, I love the movie specially their 3D effects. It was very inspiring. essay help

Jan 7, 11 5:37 am  · 
 · 
db

2 words: Olivia Wilde!

Jan 7, 11 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
trace™

Kosinski is an architect (well, not with a "A"), Columbia grads.

If there's a recent success story, this is it - how talent leaves the profession! Haha.

Jan 26, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: