Archinect
anchor

Visting New Orleans

ReflexiveSpace

I'm going to New Orleans for a week and I leave next weekend. I'll be staying in the Maringy area just east of the French Quarter. I'm pretty excited to spend some relaxing time eating, drinking and taking pictures.
The one thing (architecturally) I want to do while there is visit the Make it Right houses. I'm having a hard time getting information on doing it. I know where they are and that sort of thing. I'm getting mixed reviews on the safety of walking from the Maringy area through the Bywater area to get to it and the safety of the area they are in. Some say its fine, some say its a bad as its ever been. I hear only take a bus tour through and don't get out and some say take a cab and its fine to walk around in that area during the day.

I'm hoping someone on here might have done this recently and could shed some light on the situation as it stands now. It would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to see those houses and the area. Ideally I'd like to take photos around there but I'm questioning how smart it is to bring a nice camera to that area by myself also.

Dec 6, 10 1:03 pm
mantaray

It's generally fine to walk around during the day, especially in the more traveled parts of town. People in New Orleans are generally very friendly - especially if you look interested and pleasant and respectful. Marigny is definitely fine. Presumably you are renting a car? You will need one. Although some parts of the city are compact and walkable, overall a car is necessary if you want to see the sights & get the true feel of the city. (Cabs are not plentiful outside of the quarter, uptown, garden district, etcera).

In my opinion Bywater is a little iffy - not just because of the neighborhood but also just because it's kind of more deserted (lots of empty lots, etc) - I would definitely drive through Bywater rather than walk. Not necessarily due to a feeling of safety but I mean you'll be walking without much to see for awhile. I guess closer to the river it's probably a little nicer? Not sure, I haven't walked through this neighborhood really b/c...well half the year it's so damn hot you really don't want to walk more than 5 steps.

The Make It Right houses can be seen simply by wandering around. Last time I was there I crashed a private tour, which was fantastic. There was a job-site trailer though and they had 2 coordinators who seemed to be there full-time to basically deal with tours, press, etc - if I were you, I'd just call up the org & explain who you are and ask if there are any upcoming opportunities to take a look.

Other areas to see:
- Algiers (including the mardi gras float storage!)
- St. Charles trolley of course, Garden district, tulane, uptown, etc
- boutiques on Magazine street... (these are the givens)
- there's some interesting architectural gems... search this site I think there was a thread once before on modernism in new orleans...? I don't always know archs/locations since I'm just wandering around mostly, myself
- this awesome high school that is kind of international style, lifted on pilotis above the ground - I saw an article recently that it was going to be torn down - if it's still up it's worth a visit, I'll have to find the location for you

...ugh, I have lots of little fried chicken shacks (in people's converted living rooms) and stuff like that in my head, but I couldn't tell you any of their names or locations, just know them from how to walk to them from my friends' houses. I know that doesn't help, I'm sorry. The good news is that you'll get to discover some of these gems for yourself!

NOW, restaurants... now that is a whole other list...

Dec 6, 10 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

to be clear - I've never lived in NO, just a very frequent visitor, so consider my advice very limited! just thought I'd chime in since no one else had yet. But definitely take the advice of anyone who's lived there over me!!

Dec 6, 10 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

No car this time around. I've never been to New Orleans so I figure I can occupy myself pretty well walking around since I'll be centrally located in the hot spot if you will. The only problem with this is making it to the Make it Right houses. I usually walk cities I've never been to I find it much more interesting even in the "uninteresting" parts. Even Seattle, those are some steep hills.

In places that aren't especially unsafe I'm usually okay. Keep your head down and mind your own business till you make it to a nicer area works out. This time I'll have a fairly nice camera with me however so I'm a little more conscious of where I'll be going when I have the camera.

I can get a trolley towards the garden district to do that but it looks like I'll probably need to take a cab to see the Make it Right house. Hopefully when I call them to pick me back up they will come ;)

Thanks for the post! Never too much information.

Dec 6, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

in broad terms, I think you'll be fine in the Lower 9th and Bywater during the day - I would not wander either of those areas near dusk or at night however. Maringy and the Quarter are better but like all large cities there are still has a few spots that can be sketchy. Everyone that I have bumped into around the MIR area has been really friendly and proud of the work so far

No car = use the trolley for Garden District and Uptown - now is a great time of the year for a streetcar ride! You might also want to try out the ferry ride from Downtown to the West Bank (Algiers) in the afternoon - sunset is a great time to see the city and the river

Dec 6, 10 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Thanks cajunarch. I definitely plan to see those areas around the MIR houses during the morning and midday so you've confirmed more or less what I hoped. Go there in the middle of the day and don't be an idiot and more or less you're fine even though there's always the chance of something bad (that goes for anywhere really).

I have another question to pose for those with the knowledge like yourself. I want to go photograph at least one cemetery. I'd like to be able to wander it myself without trying to take pictures and follow a tour. Some of the oldest and best are in really bad areas though and are recommended only with a tour group. I'm thinking Lafayette is the good and pretty safe and I can walk around the garden district that day too.

Dec 6, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Agree with Lafayette. You can do lunch at Commander's Palace as well. Plus it isn't very far from Magazine St and there are a couple hidden Modernist gems in the neighborhood as well.

Dec 6, 10 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

You'll be fine but I will say, I'm usually ALL about walking - I walk (or bike) everywhere I go in my life (going on 12 years car-less) - but legitimately you will see a lot more if you can spring for a rental car for even a day or two. It's not a big city but it is slightly spread out / awkward to get around, especially given the barriers created by water / freeways / empty/bad areas etc. There is not a great transit network and not a great amount of cabs. Just a warning.

The trolleys & the ferry to Algiers are awesome however. But that only gets you so far. A lot of what I've seen in the city I never would have found in a visit without a car.

Dec 6, 10 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

see if you can borrow a bike from friends/craiglist/something. walking will be fine, just really slow.

go eat in mid-city. oh mimi's in the marigny and bacchanal in bywater are great too. bacchanal's is right by a semi-deserted navy base that makes for an interesting landscape.

you should check out the hollygrove farmers market too. it was a public architecture/1% project and its a real community institution now.

Dec 6, 10 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

yep, take the streetcar to Lafayette, eat a world-class lunch at Commander's and then walk around the Garden District - sounds like a great day to me

Dec 6, 10 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Well through popular consensus street car to the garden district, lunch at Commander's and Lafayette Cemetery is going to be a day!

Dec 7, 10 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Also if you are here this coming weekend (11th and 12th) DesCours will still be going on, which is usually quite interesting. I helped to install one of the projects and one of my professors has one up as well.

Dec 7, 10 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

I get in on the 12th, around 2ish. Looks like there is stuff going on later at night, the website said something along the lines of 6-10pm but i didn't look into it much yet. Definitely will look into it more but it looks like I could catch a few in the french quarter area easily.
Never would have caught this unless you mentioned it (since i hadn't yet). Thanks! Have you gone to a lot of them? Any especially good ones since I won't have time to see many?

Dec 7, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I haven't gone to many yet (I was planning on it this weekend). You will be able to easily do all of them in the French Quarter (which is where all but three are this year). Doris Sung's is interesting, but I haven't seen it in action yet (I helped her put it together). Thaddeus Zarse's is also interesting especially if you are into digital fabrication (He is one of three faculty members that is really into it).

Dec 7, 10 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

bywater isn't as bad as some people make it out to be... lived there for a while. if you want a real bywater experience and like jazz, go to kermit ruffins on thursday nights at vaugns. tuesday nights at the maple leaf with rebirth brass band in uptown is also a mainstay, but a bit more expensive and usually more crowded. just don't act like a crazy out of towner or someone whos gotten lost coming home from bourbon street and you'll be fine.
the best way to get around is by bike... you could buy a really crappy $20 one in the bywater at Plan B.

Dec 9, 10 9:10 am  · 
 · 
architorture

i lived there for a while, and you should be fine during the day, but i wouldn't bring your amazing camera out and be too overt about it....maybe do the photos with a buddy if you are feeling really uncomfortable.

biking is much easier than walking to all the places that are mentioned.
commanders is amazing....
have a great time!

Dec 9, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

December 15th @ The Saint...

Selectress Maddie Ruthless with special guest DJ Matty spinning strictly 60s vintage hits from JA to NOLA and beyond!
MADDIE ♥ MATTY ♥ MADDIE ♥ THE SIXTIES!
all vinyl. all huge tunes. no filler. groovy real dance party!

Dec 9, 10 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Oh the saint, last time I was there my special lady friend had her purse stolen off her chair as she was sitting on it.

All great recommendations above, and I second getting a bike if possible. Definitely check out Mimi's (especially if Soul Sister is Dj'ing) if you're in the Bywater/Marigny area (and grab a veggie burrito @ Floras for lunch across the street). There's dozens of galleries worth checking out on Royal St. in that area as well. Also check out Elizabeth's for a great greasy spoon breakfast/brunch, which is in that on Chartres. I will also second going to see Kermit at Vaughn's on Thursdays, and if you have a ride continue down to Saturn Bar on Saint Claude. Have fun; I haven't lived there since the hurricane, but I'll be back for new years and can't wait.

Dec 9, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Thanks for all the great input. Definitely got to add some stuff to my list of things to do there that I wouldn't have realized otherwise!

Dec 10, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: