Archinect
anchor

Wanted: Things like "Salad Spinner House"

I am particularly interested in popular media and real estate industry appropriation of local residential contemporary masterpiece grade"nicknames." They are mostly available in local newspapers' real estate/weekend section and ads. If you see others, please post. I am collecting them as part of my research. Architect's name is not that important but appreciated if available.
For example:
"Salad Spinner", by Ed Niles.

Thank you.

Nov 21, 10 5:00 pm

Orhan is that globally, locally (LA) etc?

Nov 21, 10 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

I like the Salad Spinner house!

Locally a house was referred to by the owner, in an article in the local cosmetic surgery/lifestyle rag, as "Fratalian". It's kinda French, kinda Italian, fully horrendous, as you can imagine.

Nov 21, 10 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 22, 10 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Space Ship House

- Signal Mountain, TN

Space Ship House - Frisco, NC

Bubble House - Tourette–sur–Loup, France

Shoe House - Story of it:
"Colonel Mahlon M. Haines, the flamboyant “Shoe Wizard,” built The Shoe House in 1948 for advertising purposes. Haines walked up to an architect, handed him an old work boot, and said “Build me a house like this.” It is a wood frame structure covered with wire lath and coated with cement stucco. It measures 48 ft. in length, 17 ft. in width at the widest part and 25 ft. in height, and was built in one year. The interior consists of five different levels and contains three bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and living room. Haines died in 1962, and the Shoe House has had a few owners since, including an orthodontist who ran tours for twenty years and sold ice cream from a small snack bar in the heel. The house came full circle as it was returned to the Haines family in 1987, when a granddaughter of the “Shoe Wizard” purchased the building."

Nov 23, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Can't forget the Toilet House!

Nov 23, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

i love it. thanks donna!

"Sim Jae-duck, the chairman of the organizing committee of the Inaugural General Assembly of the World Toilet Association, and he hopes his toilet house will highlight the global need for better sanitation.."

Nov 23, 10 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan,

This article from BBC News about how tall buildings get silly names seems relevant.

Nov 26, 10 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

thanks nam, definitely relevant!

Nov 26, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
G-bot
http://shanghaiist.com/2007/09/30/piano_house_in_huainan_anhui.php

The Piano House

Nov 27, 10 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: