Archinect
anchor

I'm stuck in San Francisco! Please help!

Marlin

I thought it a good idea to appeal to my community for some book recommendations that would help me ground an understanding of this place i now call home.

As an example, if asked the same question about my home city of Los Angeles, i would suggest Banham's Four Ecologies as a good primer, and then a list of other books in the canon would cascade from there. My understanding of the Bay Area, however, is nil, and my appreciation for the knowledge base of this community is endless and thus the reason for this appeal for your recommendations.

As always, thanks, and watch more Archinect Travels.

Nov 19, 10 5:02 pm
mdler

I would just start walking

Nov 19, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(...that's kind of a given, mdler.)

Nov 19, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

Nov 19, 10 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out

Nov 19, 10 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

two years before the mast - henry dana (visits pre-gold rush Cali)

Nov 19, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

maybe starting from the U.S.A. point of view to put San Francisco into a historical context, it all started with the U.S. war on Mexico, that ended in 1848, after that war California was no longer Mexico, and then in 1849 Gold was discovered, and the rest is history.

by the way The Giants won the world series this year, beating Texas another state that was part of Mexico, the irony. sorry for beating this war over and over.

Nov 19, 10 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Saving The Bay

is a 4 hour documentry of the history of the Bay Area. I just recently moved here(4years) and found this documentry very interesting. Also if you have a bike take a ride along the embarcadero from market all the way to the GGBridge and go even further if you wish - but there is a physical line on the ground all the way from the finacial distric that represents the "Barbary Coast" check it out.

and WELCOME to this beautiful city....even though its raining...

I also found the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test facsinating but thats a single time period and not the history I think your looking for - but I still find it very interesting to read a book and say "hey, I was just at that street corner", or "hey that happened right here" And it is a pretty significant time period for San Francisco that I think is worth knowing.

Nov 19, 10 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

just walk into city lights and let yourself get lost. walk up the street (columbus) to "steps of rome" for a great espresso. return to city lights. repeat.

incidentally, i was standing outside city lights one night when the 49er's won the '88 superbowl. i coudn't figure out what the hell was going on with people and cars and a shitload of mayhem suddenly breaking out in the streets. took me a bit to realize.

Nov 19, 10 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

CurbedSF, duh.

Hi Marlin!

Nov 19, 10 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Just watch all seasons of Monk.

Nov 19, 10 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

need...more...acid

Nov 21, 10 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hey marlin, have you hooked up with the crew at Rebar? they seem like good people...

Nov 21, 10 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It's not canonical, but you might find this CLUI publication interesting:

http://cluistore.org/batobaexmaof.html

Nov 21, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
Just watch all seasons of Monk.

First two seasons were filmed in Canada (with stock footage of SF used between scenes) eh?

Nov 22, 10 3:16 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

retain the services of a hooker.

Nov 22, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

"retain the services of a hooker."

Easily found at [url=http://www.justin.tv/adamsblock/b/259329801
]Jones and Eddy[/url]
streets. but be sure to watch out for bikes....

Nov 22, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
Jones and Eddy
Nov 22, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

For a primer on what you will be hit with if you want to do anything in a historic neighborhood, see "Here Today, San Francisco's Architectural Heritage," by Roger Olmstead (out of print, but at the library).

Norcal Modern will bring you up to speed on some of the mid century heros.

Sally Woodbridge's guide books will show you where to find interesting houses (Mendelson, Nuetra etc) and Mitchell Schwarzer has a more up to date guide and a history.

Nothing really equal to Banham, but it's a start. You can't go wrong stopping in to William Stout books and seeing what is on offer.

Nov 22, 10 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

wonderful responses, thank you all. sprucestonesbetaapplerustymudbarrymdler, thank you. inded, a good start.

@purvis: curbed often epitomizes the bathroom wall ethic of internet comment sections. Then again, so does archinect on occasion. (dude, i'm bartending again! drinks on me and a bottle of properly cellared 2008 Deschutes TheAbyss imperial porter is here in Oaksterdam when ya get here!)

@beta: nope, but certainly now looking into it, thank you.

@houseofmud, @wearethestones & @spruce: Perfect. Perfect!

@Taliesin: build one in revit.

@donquixote: yep, all in all, humanity is a bummer. i say stay in bed.

...i'm intrigued by this recent publication. It satiates a fetish for Tufte, maps, and contextual bay area history in one felled swoop.

Nov 22, 10 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Marlin that Infinite City book does look good. You will have to let us know what you think after you have read it.

Nov 22, 10 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: