Archinect
anchor

'vertically oriented' museums?

l3wis

just wanted to solicit suggestions from archinect's collective knowledge regarding museum precedents... specifically museums that are more or less 'vertical' - especially ones that celebrate their concept through a special kind of vert. circulation. (ie. guggenheim)

i've been looking at foster + partner's bowery museum, for one - vert. circulation here is resolved through this massive lift, or "moving room," as they call it, which actually is exhibition space in itself, and can be integrated into each floor for functions or events, etc.:

anyways, would be great if anyone had ideas. i'd also be interested in sizeable museums that are actually integrated into towers or high mixed-use buildings, but i don't imagine there are too many of those!

Nov 4, 10 6:37 pm
jplourde

I think vertical museums are harder to do, operationally. But maybe the New Museum by Sanaa just down the Bowery block is a good example. It also showcases a gigantic lift.

Btw, the Sperone Westwater is a gallery, not a museum. Maybe not a huge difference for your purposes.

Nov 4, 10 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea, definitely more challenging, jp. aren't some portions of the New Museum only accessible via these really cramped stairways? I haven't been past the bookstore...

but yea, good distinction.

Nov 4, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The foster building (especially with its red elevator) looks like a pregnancy test.

Sanaa's building down the street looks like a random pile of garbage .

I'm afraid neither of these buildings will age too well.

That said, verticality of a museum will largely depend on real estate costs. Since NYC has become stupid expensive, museums are seeing it more profitable to sell the land than to develop on it. MoMa has sold it's land to a developer in exchange for getting a few floors back for museum use. Jean Nouvel is the architect, although the project seems on a bit of a time-out right now.

Nov 4, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
rutger
mas

, City Museum of Antwerp by Neutelings-Riedijk

Nov 5, 10 6:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 5, 10 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
wunder_waffle
Ten Arquitectos Guggenheim Guadalajara

comes to mind

Nov 5, 10 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

some of it is museum but there are condominiums and offices built into it as well.. it is on hold.
REX's Louisville Museum Plaza
http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=72544_0_24_0_C

Nov 5, 10 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

I don't know if Museum Plaza counts really as a vertical museum, the vertical parts are residential and commercial and the museum it self is the horizontal connecting element. I think the OP is talking specifically about stacked museum floorplates?

Nov 5, 10 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

American Folk Art Museum, NYC, by Todd Willams and Billie Tsien:

Nov 5, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: