Archinect
anchor

teaming resource website project for one of you youngsters to set up....

outed

ok all you enterprising types, here's a project for you to set up:

on more than one occasion, we really need to find experts in a certain practice area outside our own. although we've got a fairly extensive network of peers and consultants, often we need someone who lies outside our limited boundaries. because 90% of the time we're just chasing work (and have no guarantee of getting it), we can't hire them to our staff unless we win the job.

the need is this: if there was a simple index that would allow me (and other firms like ours - smaller to mid size) to more easily locate out of work architects who possess a high degree of expertise in some particular area, well, yeah. all over it.

my personal take is that people would be allowed to post the following only: name, company name (if appropriate), location, 3 areas of expertise (any more than that and you'll have people saying they can do anything), brief bio, and a way to download a pdf for a more full resume/portfolio. maybe one simple image on the listing page.
allow me to search by expertise, location, and i'm in. in fact, i'll promise to use at least 5 people off that list in the next year on proposals.

i'm sure local aia chapters do this, but really, they don't cover the full spectrum of potential expertise out there.

my own personal wish list UI wise: keep a really simple interface, no flash, and on the start page have a way to start looking for the two or three main searchable terms (name, location, discipline, expertise tags). allow people to list for free and make money off of ads targeted to the autodesks of the world. if enough people sign up (and let's face it, you could probably pull enough just going through archinect) and you can get just enough pub out there, you can certainly make a living doing this by yourself off the ad revenue.

have to stress this is not a traditional jobs search/posting site. i'm not sure, as someone putting a team together, that i want 200 people all replying to a need for a team member, knowing that maybe only 2 could actually do a bl-4 lab. the greatest virtue would be to have a place for people to advertise their expertise in a quick, reasonable way, then great. if it's an open network type thing, even better.

i'm too old and too busy to take it on - anyone else want to jump on it?

Oct 26, 10 4:16 pm
Distant Unicorn

Stop being cheap and contact a recuiter. Oh wait, staffing agencies don't take invoices as forms of payment!

Oct 26, 10 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
outed

ug - yeah, it's not a question of being cheap, it's a question of finding potential team members/consultants. now, maybe a lot of firms will just hire someone ahead of time, but that's very rare even in the best of times.

Oct 26, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

basically, you are looking for a network-esque site to replace real life networking? My take is that you'd find the most suited people through others. And asking in your "network" on sites like linkedin generally produce pretty valid results, most of the times even better than going by what people sell themselves like. SImply: it's easier to check people out - hear from others what they've done etcetera.

Oct 26, 10 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well, I think what you would need to do is find a way to "legitimize" the claims of potential employees, contractors and subcontractors.

I.e., Hire people (probably retired people) to review and sift through submitted portfolios and resumes and rate them based on criteria.

As for the candidates, there are plenty of prewritten standardized tests, certification tests and what not out there that could let users self-evaluate their skills and report those skills to the networking site.

Otherwise, without any sort of validation in places, you basically have linkedin or architizer (unlike linkedin, architizer lets your share your work).

Oct 26, 10 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

NZ has a department/service called Global Expert which is similar to what you are looking for, but more focused on research and development for industry and business.

Oct 26, 10 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

How much does this job pay?

Oct 27, 10 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
orion

architizer?

Oct 28, 10 2:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: