Archinect
anchor

Does hiring come to a halt after Thanksgiving and start only in mid Jan?

mixologist

I'm trying to plan some travel/visit to family and wondering of its really the best use of my time to stick around hoping for 2nd calls or first interviews after about the 20th of November until the 10th of Jan.

I'd like to know from those who've observed or been privy to hiring decisions how these cycles work. Could offices for instance lock someone in around the 3rd week of November to start after the holidays in Jan? Are about 5 weeks between hiring and starting work too much of a wait in this economy? This way they don't pay December wages when things tend to be slow anyway?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Oct 11, 10 4:49 am
creativity expert

the only rule is there are no rules.

Oct 11, 10 8:31 am  · 
 · 
blah

Usually and most new work doesn't come in until January... We've got 5 weeks down.

Oct 11, 10 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have been hired at arch firms twice in December (the only 2 I ever worked for), so it happens.

Oct 11, 10 10:45 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

I was surprised last year when I saw job ads in November and December. It is typically slow from the week of Thanksgiving until the beginning of January. There is so much pent-up demand that I wouldn't count on the status quo.

California seems to be picking up a bit...Northern moreso than Southern. Seeing more job ads for custom and multifamily residential and commercial/retail. Its still super slow, but I am hopeful that the job market for our profession will continue to pick up this quarter and beyond.

Oct 11, 10 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

exhibit houses hire late in the year to gear up for the autoshows....

Oct 12, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: