Archinect
anchor

Space frames and their potential in architecture ?

George85

At architecture faculty in my country, there is a Phd degree thesis proposal:

"space frames and their potential in architecture"

I did a little search, and found out that this systems are:

From the engineering point of view: light, fully prefabricated, easy to assemble and erect, light to transport, can cover of huge spans, material savers (the amount of material spend is much less then at the solid systems) etc.

But I am a little bit confused about the Architectural potential of these structures - the main part of this thesis.

So what is the Architectural potential of these structures?
1. They are space forming structures - they define the shape of the buildings.
2. They have an influence on the overall architectural expression. What else?
3. I am also thinking of using the space frame as a high tech element - using it's structure as an ornament to express my vision of desired aesthetics.
I am starting to get scared, because I do not have a clue what I am going to write about this main part - the Architectural potential of space frames. And yes, I know that the answer to this is going to be: "you want to do a Phd thesis and you even do not have a clue what are going to write in it.". And I guess this is true.

Please, help. any kind of advice is valuable.
Thank you for all the answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_frame

Oct 10, 10 9:07 pm
Rusty!

By the time you're done fireproofing a space frame, all the amazing benefits (both aesthetic and financial) are gone. They are good for open air structures, where they often get used.

It would be a more interesting engineering PhD topic. How do you manufacture a space frame with all of these concerns already accounted for. If you feel mathy these days, you should go for it.

Oct 10, 10 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
George85

thank you for the reply steelstuds.
I must apologize to you, but I did not understand you quite. I only understood the last sentence, but not the rest part.
Can you please explain it to me a little bit closer.

Sorry English is my second language.

Thank you for the answer and patience.

Oct 10, 10 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
wunder_waffle
Coop Himmelblah's BMW Welt
Oct 10, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
George85

thanks for the answer waffles, but BMW Welt is only an example of space frame. Any idea about apace frame potential in architecture?

Oct 12, 10 7:08 am  · 
 · 
George85

any other reply please.

Oct 21, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
George85

any reply please.
Thanks.

Nov 8, 10 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: