Archinect
anchor

Seattle Waterfront Redesign

Landscraper
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=467138365241

http://www.cityofseattle.net/DPD/Planning/Central_Waterfront/Overview/

This is easily one of the largest/most important design moves made by the city. The short listed teams are very impressive (James Corner's Field Operations, MVVA, Gustafson Guthrie Nichol, WRT) and public presentations were last night.

Sep 16, 10 3:48 pm
mdler

I spent the evening getting drunk at Future Shack at Seattle Center

Sep 16, 10 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

how was it, mdler?

Sep 17, 10 1:03 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

Well, what can one say, really. I do think that Seattle is a lot more progressive, spatially at least, then a lot of other municipalities.

I guess the real question is: Is this a ramification of Olympic Park and the Library, or did the thought process facilitate those projects?

And why Seattle?! Kurt has been dead for a while. What do they know that that Boston or St. Louis or other similar cities doesn't?

BTW the music center is a carbuncle [love the prince for that one!].

Sep 17, 10 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

^^ ??

seattle may think it's progressive, but it gets its good stuff from out of town.

Sep 18, 10 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

achensch

there are some really good architects from Seattle doing really good work

Sep 18, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz

the future shack thing was sort of lame...except for Johnathan Seagal calling bullshit on LEED and the whole 'green' movement

Sep 18, 10 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

^^

Sep 18, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

field operations + shop; it's going to be neato!

Sep 22, 10 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lets hope that they keep the viaduct...it is such a beautiful drive into the city

Sep 22, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

you've gotta be kidding. Anyway, didn't you get rid of your car?

Sep 22, 10 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

not at all...The drive along the water is beautiful. i love driving through the shipping docks then heading through the city with the water + mountains on the left and the city on the right

Sep 22, 10 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Actually, I'm curious to know in what ways people view Seattle as progressive.
Granted, I was last there some ten years ago, but I never got the impression that it was significantly more progressive than similarly sized North American cities I've visited (Vancouver, Montreal...even Minnesota's twin cities).

So what is it?

Sep 23, 10 3:30 am  · 
 · 
mdler

modern life as we know it was invented in Seattle

Sep 23, 10 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

well, the politics are certainly more progressive than in Minnesota. The culture as a whole is more focused on sustainability than any I've seen stateside. And they make great music, food, and beer.

Sep 23, 10 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

we are also the most well read city in America

Sep 24, 10 1:42 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

copper,

portland has more progressive bike/land use plans... has better sustainable buildings and has much better beer than seattle.

and powell's beats elliott bay books any day.

Sep 24, 10 2:07 am  · 
 · 
mdler

holz

pdx aint got jobs...but it got TITTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 24, 10 2:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

definitely got us beat on that as well, mdler! homeless youth, as well.

Sep 24, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

well holz, I somehow never made it down to Portland during my northwest stint! I know, I know... maybe someday soon. Anyway, I'll have to take your word for it. I just know that back in LA, I'm constantly amazed at shit like the fact that styrofoam is still legal in CA, or that there are still so many assholes trying to run me off the road. LA has this progressive image, but I'd count Seattle as moreso, so that's been the bar for me.

Sep 24, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LA is the least progessive, right wing, conservative city in the country. Everyone is a self absorbed capitalist trying to fuck you out of a buck..but they think they arent

Sep 24, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

way to make me keep missing the northwest, mdler...

Sep 24, 10 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Landscraper

well, being a seattleite, im sufficiently disgusted with the city's decision. so sick of James Corner

Oct 1, 10 1:07 am  · 
 · 

I too am a wearied by the over use of James Corner/Field Operations by municipal and other authorities for many contemporary urban landscape projects. However, it does seems from afar (having never been to Seattle) that the general trend toward demolishing/replacing those sorts of freeway infrastructures, to open up the city to the water is a good thing...

mdler i can understand the drive being a beautiful and even aesthetic experience but in terms of city fabric/open space wouldn't you think it a good idea to take down??

One of the goals (or so i have gathered) is too knit together the Olympic Park and other such waterfront (or waterfront adjacent sites) into a chain of waterfront green spaces...

Oct 1, 10 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I think we all know the real solution here.

Bury trhew waterfront highway in an all-glass underwater tunnel.

It's like the Big Dig raped Seaworld. Unlike Seaworld, there will be only minimal dolphin tears and no orca-related fatalities!

Oct 1, 10 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
greyvsgray

that highway is scheduled to fall down in the next earthquake. unicorn, you're quite the wordsmith.

Oct 1, 10 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: