Archinect
anchor

Sukkah City - NYC

JRGZ1023

As a designer living in New York who happens to be Jewish I found this competition to be pretty intriguing; I'm curious to see what other people think.

From over 600 entries from 43 countries, 12 finalists were chosen to build a Sukkah based off of traditional laws, many using very modern and radical interpretations. A pretty notable panel of judges including Michael Arad and Steven Heller narrowed the field down and the winning design can be voted on here:

http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/features/68057/

More information on the competition, including presentation boards from the finalists can be found here:

http://www.sukkahcity.com/

Sep 14, 10 2:34 pm

I think it was a great idea and a nice scale for a competition. It seems they had a good response, however I think the overall quality of the entries was weak, even among the winners (though I think the jury mostly got it right). The only ones that stand out for me are the Shim Sukkah, Gathering, and Single Thread. Maybe someone could explain So-ILs winning entry to me. It appears to be four poles wrapped in mesh. Am I not getting something?

Sep 15, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 
odee

Overall I agree, nice scale for a competition, however because of the scale and free entry I do think you get a lot of mediocre work.

Two winning entries I do NOT understand are the SO-IL mesh tent and the LOG? Both seem extremely weak and underdeveloped compared to many of the entries.

It will be interesting to see if the winning entries look like then do in the renderings once they are built.

Sep 15, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

Some day Islam will be treated with sympathy too. Right now all they get is slash and burn! I hope you all remember the profanities during the minaret competition. How does it feel to talk architecture now?

Sep 15, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i'm curious how verymany entry "passive hygroscopic curls" works in real:

"reinvents the common sukkah morphology using two overlapping layers of wood veneer. The lightweight, translucent structure absorbs humidity from the surrounding air. In humid weather, the wooden tips will bend up and twist into natural curly shapes, revealing their bright-green undersurface. When dry, they flatten back out."

or he is juz bullshitting?

Sep 15, 10 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i read the winning entries description and do not find one relate to sukkah... wonder how the judge made their decision.

Sep 15, 10 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Solar roof panels on sukkah will be a winner, so you can watch TV and cook on electric stove!

Sep 18, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I wish I had known about this competition I might have entered...maybe next year .... when I'm even a crazier architect. Think I will design mine based upon counterfit dollar bills, threaded together with gold wire..."now that is the ticket." Dedicate it to my man Bernie Madof!

Sep 18, 10 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

they are supposed to be showing all of the sukkah finalist projects today in union square!

they take all but one of them down after today -- the one that has the most popular online vote will stay up until oct. 2nd.

is anyone going to go check it out??
can you share some photos of the built entries??

Sep 19, 10 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

yes, whoever went please post photos here^^

Sep 19, 10 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

I stopped by earlier...didn't take pictures though.
I think the renderings/drawings were a little more impressive than the finished products to be honest. Not sure what the time/money restrictions were but they seemed to be toned down...

So-Il's seemed to have fallen down and they were trying to put it back up. LOG had some interesting details and was a little more impressive than their drawings...

There were alot of school age kids there with their teachers...they were running around trying to get the Architect's autographs...pretty funny...

Anyone know who won?

Sep 20, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
odee

Winner: Fractured Bubble

Sep 21, 10 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

oh, no, really?
I have nothing against it, but the shim one was very, very nice.

Sep 22, 10 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: