Archinect
anchor

modular structures - their joint/connections?

l3wis

Hi, I'm trying to find some details or any sort of image that explains a bit more about the joints or connections between modules in various modular structures.

I guess I'm just curious how these things are often 'put together'.

Sep 11, 10 12:07 pm
Distant Unicorn

I have a similar-but-not-really similar thread about looking for non-standard structural connections.

Email jump and maybe he can recommend something.

Otherwise the consensus from the previous thread was that diagrams, how-to's and pictures of a wide range of structural connections really doesn't exist on the internet.

Sep 11, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I have a similar-but-not-really similar thread about looking for non-standard structural connections.

Email jump and maybe he can recommend something.

Otherwise the consensus from the previous thread was that diagrams, how-to's and pictures of a wide range of structural connections really doesn't exist on the internet.

Sep 11, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

uggh, lame.

HALP US, JUMP!!

Sep 11, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I know, I can find a drawing of Michelle Obama in a fursuit taking a dump on Russian President Medvedev's chest.

But I can't find simple breakdown of how to assemble a cross beam to a column or as of recently... what a CMU header actually is.

Sep 11, 10 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"connections between modules in various modular structures"

This seems like a really vague question. What is a modular structure to you? All wood and steel buildings are 'modular'. In fact. most modern building components are modular.

A more precise answer could yield you better results.

Sep 11, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

im thinking of modular in a sort of metabolic sense - smaller units unto themselves attached together to create a larger structure

Sep 11, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

seems whatever you look at, it will fall into a small number of standard internet searches --- for starters:

metals:
space frames
truss types
modular aluminum systems like bosch's or minitec's
SSMA should have info on metal stud assembly types

concrete:
tilt up systems
pan-formed systems
pre-tensioned structural sections
AAC systems

wood:
SIPS
paralam/glulam
other engineered lumber systems

engineered systems:
"butler building" type systems
that is, pre-engineered metal buildings
sprung instant structures

this will get you to companies' websites and then you have to look at their details and spec data as all will vary

Sep 11, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

forgot:

inflatable structures

Sep 11, 10 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I think the OP is thinking of Lego blocks.

Sep 11, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

ahh, in that case i'll throw tinker toys, erector sets and connex out there as well

Sep 11, 10 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

jmanganelli, your original list is pretty great though.

I'll expand on pre-engineered metal buildings a bit:

-The rigid clear-span framing system
-The rigid modular framing system
-The truss-frame, clear-span framing system
-The truss-frame modular framing system
-The long-bay framing system
-Lean-to framing systems

Fun!

Sep 11, 10 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thanks, ss

your terms are much better

with this sort of research, a good bit of it does seem to be figuring out the best terms to search

the wrong search terms can get you going in circles

for the wood, i forgot: post and beam

Sep 11, 10 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

thanks jmang

Sep 11, 10 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

For concrete I would add Glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) panels. I love these things, as they are extremely versatile design-wise. Too bad most of the architects that use them are of the faux-greek column type.

Note about GRFC panels, and similar types of prefab systems: "Detailed design of GFRC panels and their connections to the building are normally the responsibility of the manufacturer. Experienced personnel, either employed or retained by the manufacturer, design GFRC using material property data determined from in-plant testing." - Masterspec

So jk3hl, a lot of the details you are looking for are proprietary information. It figures internet searches reveal very little.

Sep 11, 10 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I should mention, years ago I did my thesis on modular architecture. Information back then was really hard to find, and it's funny to see little has changed since then.

It also depends on your definition of what modular is. There are plenty of 'modular' housing units out there, and as you can see from jmang's post there are lots of building systems that are modular in nature, from structures to cladding systems.

I guess by asking a more focused question, like what is the function of the module you have in mind, you will be able to get better responses. I am more than glad to help out...

Sep 11, 10 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

ss is right, nearly all contemporary construction methods are modular.

A good basic compendium is ModernConstructionHandbook

''im thinking of modular in a sort of metabolic sense - smaller units unto themselves attached together to create a larger structure''

Like bricks? Or legos [as previously stated, whoot whoot]?

Let me go out on a limb here: The OP is in school and looking for a shortcut to research faster than a jaunt to the library.

Sep 12, 10 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

When in doubt about a certain connection, use mortar. Let the GC sort it out.

Sep 12, 10 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Metabolic refers to ze japanese - so I guess situations where large units (not so much "modules") are stacked/piled/connected together?

Just considering connections, the TEAM10 people have lots of projects with very well articulated joints, you could have a look at those. And then Herzberger.

Sep 14, 10 8:27 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ss, makes an important point. most connections in modular systems are detailed by the manufacturer, and therefore the architect need not draw these as they will be worked out in the shop drawings. if there are particularly important connections that need to be expressed, you should include them in the construction documents, but generally, those details are "custom" and will need quite a lot of coordination with the manufacturer and installer.

Sep 14, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

ah, thanks Helsinki - that's a much more accurate way of putting it - I'll look them up!

Sep 14, 10 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

So what you're saying is that it really isn't necessary to draw every window frame detail (like the actual internal workings of a window), stud tie, anchors and bolts after documenting the first one unless it is extraordinarily important or custom?

Sep 14, 10 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

UG, not sure if your post was sarcastic or not, but there's definitely a difference between lead details, bidding details and shop drawings.

Sep 14, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Jp - it's Sarcastic Wednesday!

Sep 15, 10 3:21 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

that isn't alliterate, helsinki...!

Sep 15, 10 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: