Archinect
anchor

Catholic University

astew426

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Catholic's M.Arch program? Are they pushing theory or practice or both? Earlier threads suggested they are moving toward a modernist focus from a more classical one, not sure if that's true or not. There were also some knocks on their lack of computer requirements and small resources. If you're a graduate or know someone who is, where did you end up working? Do graduates stay in the D.C. area is what I'm getting at.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 10 4:04 pm
DisplacedArchitect

good things have happened for Catholics since the pope forgave Galileo in the early 1980's

Aug 18, 10 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I've been to their campus but don't know anyone who went through their program. Sorry.

Aug 18, 10 8:34 am  · 
 · 

I know nothing about their m.arch program, but I did their experiences in architecture program.... you know those little program things you do before you apply to schools to learn about studio and whatnot....
Their studio spaces are really cool though. Big open room with open-ish studio desks. Computer lab is tiny and the rapid prototyping stuff downstairs in minimal, but they have it still which is better than many schools. The work I saw seemed to be pretty classical bordering on very simple modernism... Not too much in the digital realm, but i did see some beautiful models.... The professors and students who "taught" us seemed well versed in modernism though and didn't bash it the way I would have expected from a school famous for classicism.....

Aug 18, 10 10:10 am  · 
 · 
barefoot

I hope  you didnt end up going to Catholic.. too much fluff.. I pity their students. 

Jun 15, 11 8:46 am  · 
 · 
medi

It's a very good program - working in DC, I've always had the experience working with their graduates.  They're quite a sharp bunch of people!

Jun 15, 11 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
barefoot

Students are great. Some of the profs- very unprofessional. 

Jun 15, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: