Archinect
anchor

where's the love?/ los angeles design community

mengus

as a unemployed designer, i find it difficult to maintain momentum in my job search and feel as though there are many, many people that share my sentiments. it struck me the other day, why isn't there someone mentoring me? or guiding me along the right path? or providing some sort of ongoing discussion that helps enrich my career?

with that said, i was wondering if there are any organizations in los angeles or anywhere else that promote the notion of a creative community, where like-minded designers come together to commiserate, inspire and collaborate?

i mean, seriously, i'm talented, skilled, motivated, passionate and educated. why isn't there a organization that helps bring people like me together so that we can all progress as a community? the more the merrier right?

what do y'all think about this? am i just going crazy from this recession?

Aug 11, 10 2:44 pm
SuperKing

Your mentors are busy trying to save their own asses. Why don't you start a community yourself.

Aug 11, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Young Architects Forum at your local AIA can be fun - depends on the chapter. But it's a pretty good resource along the lines of what you're talking about, and usually involves free food or at least cheap beers at happy hour.

Aug 11, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
mengus

@spadeking - yeah, i hear that. you know, i am actually in the process of starting something similar to what i'm talking about. do you have any suggestions that would benefit my cause?

@mantaray - thanks for the info! i'll have to check it out and see if they can satisfy my needs. cheers!

Aug 11, 10 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

trying to get into the LA design community is about as successful as the nerdy unattractive girl being friends with the cheerleaders. One could argue that both (LA/cheerleaders) are just as equally bitchy, shallow and over-rated.

But maybe I haven't found the right cheerleaders yet.

Aug 11, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: