Archinect
anchor

web-design halp

l3wis

hi, so i plan to embark on a blog/portfolio project, but first need to re-learn my latent web-design skills. before college i knew my way around dreamweaver and a good bit of flash, but i seem to have forgotten most of this knowledge.

the first thing i've done is look at a few portfolio websites that i particularly like, stylistically and structurally, and would hope to emulate in some fashion. i was wondering if anyone could take a look at this one and possibly guess what sort of language/software it was developed in, so I could concentrate on learning just those specific skills?

www.oflittlemother.com/

Oct 28, 10 2:03 pm
trace™

right click > view source

although I am not sure why you would want to emulate that (not that it is bad, just about as generic as you can get)

Oct 28, 10 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

its just that the source code is incomprehensible to me. but yea, generic is kind of what i'd like to work with

Oct 28, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

firebug. it shows you where elements are relative to code and often shows code you won't find under the "view source" menu.

Oct 28, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

thanks UG... will check it out. i'd like to be able to look at various websites and know, "ok, he used this language and probably this software to develop his site".

Oct 28, 10 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

firebug is the shit!

Oct 28, 10 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Have you checked out www.indexhibit.org ?

Oct 28, 10 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

i have, FP... my impression is that it required a basic knowledge of webdesign to begin with - is the indexhibit interface intuitive enough to pick up and start using off-the-bat?

Oct 28, 10 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

chrome and safari have the equivalent of firebug built in (developer tools)!

Oct 28, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I sometimes use WinHTTrack Copier and download the entire site if I like it so I better understand the structure, css etc.

Oct 28, 10 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Indexhibit is pretty simple to use. It doesn't take long to learn how to set up a basic website through it...but you do need to learn some basics in order to understand how to locate items (Navigation bars, images, text areas, etc) on a site.

Once you have the template for your site, updating it with new content is a breeze. It's worth a look, IMO.

Oct 28, 10 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

i was just toying with sitegrinder 3. smokes dreamweaver for breakfast. if you can manage layer comps your'e golden.

Oct 28, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Dreamweaver alone won't make you a web designer.

"right click > view source" is a one hella good way to learn but you need to open notepad and start typing codes.

Oct 28, 10 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It really is. That website is about as straight forward html as you'll get (although I am not sure what mootools js they have in there)

There are billion simple ways to put together a simple site. If you want to play with code, then learn it, if not stick with a wysiwyg program.

It'll be html and css for something really simple, javascript for other basics.

Most importantly, if you want something stupid simple generic, don't waste your time trying to learn how to code. The design is more important than how or what or why it was done a specific way.

Oct 28, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
msudon
w3 schools!!!!!!!!!!

it's really useful to have a conceptual understanding of the markup that a browser is rendering...and it's nice to know the differences across browsers.

dreamweaver makes sloppy, redundant code.

Oct 29, 10 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: