Archinect
anchor

indexhibit. good, bad or just plain nonsense?

mengus

i was just wondering if anyone has heard of or has used indexhibit (http://www.indexhibit.org/) to create a website. if so, what do you think and how has it worked out for you? are there any resources that you can recommend for someone who is starting a website with this platform and who has little knowledge of web design/html/php/css?

any and all comments are greatly appreciated!
hope this message finds you in good spirits!

Aug 11, 10 2:47 pm
copper_top

I used to have my personal site on indexhibit, but I frankly found the effort required to make css changes was out of proportion with the results. For a beginner I would recommend wordpress over indexhibit any day.

That's not to say that indexhibit was horrible or anything... it's just that compared to other free database-driven options out there it doesn't offer as good of results for the time invested.

Aug 11, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

like copper top said. if you stick with their base format, it's pretty easy, as long as you know a little bit about how to set up a website (more knowledge is required then say, starting a blog). but to alter their format requires a great deal of knowledge about css and html. at the end of the day, your probably either better off writing your own website (if you're savvy in that way) or else sticking with wordpress or blogger.

Aug 11, 10 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think you can run a local copy of indexhibit on a Windows version of Apache.... unless they have fixed that issue, (you can run it on a Mac server if you purchase webspace) I downloaded and began the process of installation, but that stopped me in my tracks and I was very interested in pursuing it.

Anyone heard anything contradictory to this?

Aug 12, 10 2:26 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

I used Indexhibit for my website and liked it.

It's very easy to use and it was a great way to learn about html programming and such (which I didn't know before.)

With a few modifications you can get slideshows going, dropdowns, and some other nice features.

Also, it's totally free.

Aug 12, 10 9:34 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

I've used it also and, like farwest, think it's quite helpful, especially since it's open source and easy to learn. Like everyone above said, you can't do much with it unless you invest some time into learning some basic html and css code, but if you're interested in making a simple, no frills, straightforward website, it is not that difficult to learn. They have a forum where you can post questions and are very responsive and helpful. It's worth a shot if you want total control over your site and are willing to spend some time learning how to build a site to your liking.

For what it's worth, when I gave it a shot it took me less than a day to learn the basics, get the site up and running, and make some simple adjustments that work for me.

Aug 12, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: