Archinect
anchor

After scrolling through some threads and posts here..To the bitter and hurt architect:

Munkk

Do you blame the economy, your lack of social skills, or imagination for your lack of success, or are you simply just an unlucky fella?

Apr 1, 14 2:36 pm
curtkram

lol.  it's probably too complicated to blame on only one thing.  i'm sure all 4 of the possibilities you propose play a role.  perhaps you'll be here too when you get a few years behind you.  good luck.

Apr 1, 14 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

Question:  Have you done any real work yet?  Its much easier to make it well off based on ability alone as a contractor.  Architecture relies on regulation to keep all the parts in place.

Apr 1, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Oh, no, I can be bitter and sarcastic without casting blame. It's good sport.
Apr 1, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

"Inside every cynical person there is a disappointed idealist"

-George Carlin

Apr 1, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The blame game is fun!  You left off your list: The profession of architecture.

Seriously, hard to scrape a decent living when your realtor that sells that property collected fee's equal to or greater than you and your entire engineering team got paid.  And you also know there are a good amount of architects who would have under bid you if they'd known about that project. 

Then there's also the schools and AIA selling that architects "make it pretty" as the value of our profession.  No wonder we're paid like graphic designers.  I also particularly love how they sell advances in software like Revit are "time savers" without realizing to a client that just means you are paid less for the same service and expected to provide more.  What fun!

Apr 1, 14 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Real bitterness takes a lifetime to achieve.

The only thing worse than a whiny architect is a whiny architecture student.

Apr 1, 14 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

i has no economy

i has no social skills

i has no magination     

i is unlucky

Apr 1, 14 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I would have to say my 'lack of social skill'.

I have been chained to a computer for too long, and now I feel like one of those feral humans that was raised in a cage and never learned to talk.

Now that I'm 25 my brain will only let me preform Revit maneuvers, and sometimes some shop drawing reviews if I've been good that week.

Why are you bitter and hurt OP?

Apr 2, 14 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jla-X, I ended my master's thesis with that very same quote.

Apr 2, 14 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I'd say it's mostly vitamin D deficiency.

Apr 2, 14 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I just have mind farts all the time.....and it messes up my train of thought. 

Least there not stinking mind farts.

Apr 2, 14 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

stinking mind farts . . .

why we all rush to archinect .. .

Apr 3, 14 4:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: